Datacentre industry robust despite tough economic conditions: DatacenterDynamics
- 06 July, 2012 17:29
The threat of global recession is having minimal impact on the growth of the worldwide datacentre industry, according to analyst firm, DatacenterDynamics.
Early indications from a study by the company, the DatacenterDynamics 2012 Global Industry Census, show the robust overall health of the industry.
DatacenterDynamics said although some industry commentators have warned datacentre companies to be prepared for a drastic slowdown following the general economic malaise, statistics show otherwise.
“Whilst countries with highly developed datacentre markets will almost certainly see lower growth figures than previously enjoyed, all indicators [including initial responses to the 2012 Industry Census] point to continued growth across the sector,” DatacenterDynamics intelligence managing director, Nicola Hayes, said.
Hayes claimed datacentres have become an integral part of the Internet and IT infrastructure and growth in Internet usage, rich media, Cloud computing and smartphone use have had a positive effect on it.
Forecasts generated from the results of the Census predicted a worldwide datacentre growth rate of seven per cent from 2011 to 2012, with some less mature markets showing growth rates of up to 60 per cent.
“This is particularly so in under-developed countries - as investors, technology companies and Governments in those areas continue in their efforts to ensure they stand a chance of competing in an IT enabled world,” she said. Hayes claimed the current figures for the number of global Internet users sit at about 2.11 billion, doubling since 2007 and only accounting for 30 per cent of the world’s population – which leaves wide room for further growth.
The full 2012 census results will be published in Q3, 2012 and census research continues until July 27. DatacenterDynamics Intelligence is donating $5 to the international childrens’ charity UNICEF for every census survey completed.
- Smart Cloud: Move Beyond monitoring to Holistic Management of Application Performance
- Modernizing Security for the Small and Mid-Sized Business – Recommendations for 2013 (Sponsored by McAfee)
- MSP Guides for effective Endpoint Management Solutions
- Smart Cloud Provisioning: Low Cost and highly Scalable Entry Point into Cloud Computing
- McAfee Whitepaper: Building the Business Case for Privacy
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Look beyond Cloud infrastructure, says Liang
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Qureshi addresses the trend of ‘mojility’
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: IT needs to be empowered, says Sallam
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Christiancen highlights the need for collaboration
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Devices will change how people work, says Duursma
Attack on Telenor was part of large cyberespionage operation with Indian origins: report
Box buys iOS app to improve its own
Growing mobile malware threat swirls (mostly) around Android
Barracuda Networks raises free capacity of Copy.com to 15GB
Coke gives peace a chance ( +16 photos)