LG's Ice Cream Sandwich update schedule
- 16 February, 2012 12:23
LG's Optimus 3D is one of four phones that will get updated to Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich"
When will your LG smartphone get Google's latest Android update, 4.0 or Ice Cream Sandwich?
The good news is that LG has already released some details about its upgrade process. The bad news is that most of these upgrades will take a significant amount of time — the company's global ICS upgrade schedule will begin in the second and third quarters of this year (April at the earliest).
In the second quarter of 2012 LG has promised to upgrade the newly announced Prada Phone by LG 3.0, and the Optimus 2X, which was the first dual-core smartphone in the world. Vodafone will exclusively launch the Prada Phone in March, while the LG Optimus 2X originally launched through retailer Harvey Norman but is now stocked at mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) Crazy Johns.
LG has been clear to point out that the exact time frame for each of these upgrades will vary by market, depending on the carrier and the particular smartphone in question. We detailed these issues in our feature on why it takes so long for Android phones to receive the latest software updates.
LG's original Optimus, the Optimus One and the Optimus Me (P350) will not be receiving Android's Ice Cream Sandwich update. The company says it is currently "evaluating the future software upgrade" for LG's Optimus Spirit, a pre-paid smartphone exclusive to Telstra in Australia. As it's an inexpensive prepaid handset, the odds of the Optimus Spirit getting an ICS update are very low.
- Ice Cream Sandwich: The most delicious Android yet
- Why your smartphone is still waiting for Android's Ice Cream Sandwich update
- Top rated Android phones: January 2012
- Prada Phone by LG 3.0 Android phone (preview)
- LG Optimus 2X Android phone
- LG Optimus 3D Android phone
- LG Optimus Black Android phone
- LG Optimus Android smartphone
- LG Optimus One Android smartphone
- LG Optimus Me (P350) Android phone
- LG Optimus Spirit Android phone
- Simple, Proven, Tranformative
- Small business technology - This is why your business needs to be in the Cloud
- View from the Cloud: An outlook on Australian businesses in 2013
- Vintek partners with IBM to reduce costs and improve system reliability
- Provide clients with more powerful, cost-effective cloud hosted services
Gold Coast-based Icon expands into US
Optus hits 2.3Gbps throughput in real-world test
Australia lags in e-signature adoption: Adobe
Users refuse to chuck XP as Windows 8 uptake flattens
Android takes 62 per cent share of tablet market in 2013