Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has died
- 06 October, 2011 11:19
Apple co-founder, former CEO, and chairman Steve Jobs died today, Apple's board of directors has confirmed. He had been battling an illness widely believed to be pancreatic or liver cancer, and had stepped down as Apple CEO in late August saying he was no longer able to do the job. He had remained as Apple's chairman after promoting then-CFO Tim Cook to CEO.
Jobs had a colorful, sometimes contentious relationship with the tech industry, but he led several revolutions, including the advent of user-centered computers via the Macintosh, the digital music business via iTunes and the iPod, and most recently tablet computing via the iPad.
Apple's board of directors wrote:
We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today.
Steve's brilliance, passion, and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.
His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts.
Yesterday, Apple announced the iPhone 4S, an update to the widely successful iPhone 4 that incorporated voice recognition and artificial intelligence technology acquired from Siri, a technology mix that had been an area of strong interest to Jobs and one he spoke about with clear passion when acquiring Siri. In a strange twist of fate, that dream came true on his watch.
This article, "Apple cofounder Steve Jobs has died," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about the industry standard in InfoWorld's The Industry Standard Channel.
- Steve Jobs's fierce reign and legacy : The Industry Standard - InfoWorld
- iPhone 4S: Upgraded iPhone offers 'intelligent' assistant : Mobile Technology - InfoWorld
- Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has died : The Industry Standard - InfoWorld
- Business technology, IT news, product reviews and enterprise IT strategies - InfoWorld
- IT news and top technology headlines - InfoWorld
- InfoWorld Daily Newsletter - InfoWorld
- InfoWorld.com on Twitter
- The Industry Standard - InfoWorld
- Choice and Control: Considerations for Developing Enterprise Cloud Strategies
- Virtualization and Consolidation Solutions
- Cloud and Co-Location Solutions
- Smart Cloud: Move Beyond monitoring to Holistic Management of Application Performance
- Modernizing Security for the Small and Mid-Sized Business – Recommendations for 2013 (Sponsored by McAfee)
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Look beyond Cloud infrastructure, says Liang
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Christiancen highlights the need for collaboration
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Devices will change how people work, says Duursma
- Are we ready for a mobile-first world?
- Smartphone chips could replace server processors in HPC, researchers say
Attack on Telenor was part of large cyberespionage operation with Indian origins: report
Box buys iOS app to improve its own
Growing mobile malware threat swirls (mostly) around Android
Barracuda Networks raises free capacity of Copy.com to 15GB
Coke gives peace a chance ( +16 photos)