.au turns 25
- 06 June, 2011 10:05
It has been 25 years since registration took place of .au domain names and in March, the figure crept past the 2.09 million.
To mark this 25 year milestone, an event was held in Melbourne at the Museum’s King Tutankhamun exhibition.
One of the event highlights involved an exclusive tour of the King Tutankhamun exhibition with a focus on the role of technology in the 3000 year-old civilisation.
Associate professor and lecturer of Egyptology at Monash University, Dr Colin Hope, was guest speaker at the event and drew upon the importance of technology and communication in ancient Egypt.
AusRegistry CEO, Adrian Kinderis, said the .au domain was a driver in Australia’s digital economy.
“The .au domain has the highest penetration rate in the world for regulated namespaces with restricted eligibility when you take into account our population,” Kinderis said.
“We have made significant investments in the infrastructure and stability of the .au Registry. This has resulted in a highly stable platform which has strong support from the retail sectors of the industry.”
Some statistics on .au domain names
- .au domain names are access more than 650 million times each day
- About 86 per cent of .au domain names are registered as .com.au
- According to Australian Bureau of Statistics there 10.4 million local internet subscribers with an annual growth rate of 16.7 per cent. This excludes wireless broadband connections, which make up 4.2 million subscriptions.
- Choice and Control: Considerations for Developing Enterprise Cloud Strategies
- Smart Cloud Provisioning: Low Cost and highly Scalable Entry Point into Cloud Computing
- McAfee Whitepaper: Building the Business Case for Privacy
- Smart Cloud: Move Beyond monitoring to Holistic Management of Application Performance
- Modernizing Security for the Small and Mid-Sized Business – Recommendations for 2013 (Sponsored by McAfee)
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Christiancen highlights the need for collaboration
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Devices will change how people work, says Duursma
- Smartphone chips could replace server processors in HPC, researchers say
- iPhone 6 rumour rollup for the week ending May 24
- iPad 5 rumour rollup for the week ending May 23
Attack on Telenor was part of large cyberespionage operation with Indian origins: report
Box buys iOS app to improve its own
Growing mobile malware threat swirls (mostly) around Android
Barracuda Networks raises free capacity of Copy.com to 15GB
Coke gives peace a chance ( +16 photos)